Cat eyeliner, also known as winged eyeliner, is a classic makeup look that adds drama and allure to your eyes. This timeless style can make your eyes appear larger and more defined, giving you a captivating and alluring look.
Whether you prefer using an eyeliner pencil, gel, or liquid liner, achieving the perfect cat eyeliner does take some practice and precision. But don’t worry, we’ve got your back! In this step-by-step guide, we’ll walk you through the process to help you achieve flawless cat eyeliner every time. So let’s get started!
Things You’ll Need for Cat Eyeliner
Before we dive into the step-by-step instructions, let’s gather the necessary materials:
- Eyeliner: You can choose between pencil eyeliner, Liquid Eyeliner, or gel eyeliner. Black and brown are popular choices, but you can experiment with other colors for different effects.
- Makeup Remover: Keep makeup remover handy for quick fixes in case of mistakes.
- Q-tips or Cotton Swabs: These are excellent tools for cleaning up smudges and achieving sharp lines.
- Eyeshadow (Optional): If you want to enhance your eye makeup, eyeshadow can complement your cat eyeliner beautifully.
Now that you have your materials ready, let’s dive into the step-by-step process:
How to do cat eyeliner for beginners step by step?
Step 1: Prep Your Eyelids
Start with clean eyelids. Wash your face, ensuring your eyelids are free of oil or makeup residues. Pat them dry gently with a clean towel. To create a smooth base for your eyeliner, you can apply a primer or a bit of concealer on your eyelids.
Step 2: Choose Your Eyeliner
Select your preferred type of eyeliner – pencil, gel, or liquid. Choose one that you’re comfortable with and confident using. Pencils are more beginner-friendly, while liquid or gel eyeliners offer versatility and longevity.
Step 3: Draw the Base Line
Begin by drawing a thin line along your upper lash line. Start from the inner corner of your eye and gradually make it thicker as you move towards the outer corner. If you’re new to this, you can make small dots along the lash line and then connect them to form a smooth line.
Step 4: Create the Wing
To achieve the classic cat-eye effect, extend the line slightly beyond the outer corner of your eye, angling it upward. The angle and length of the wing depend on your preference, but a common guideline is to follow the natural curve of your lower lash line.
Step 5: Fill in the Wing
Now, connect the end of the wing to the line you drew along your upper lash line, creating a triangle shape. Fill in this triangle with your eyeliner, ensuring that it’s evenly pigmented and smooth.
Step 6: Make Adjustments
Take a step back and check both eyes. They should match in terms of angle and length. If you notice any discrepancies or uneven lines, don’t worry – this is where your Q-tips or cotton swabs come in handy. Dip one into makeup remover and carefully clean up any smudges or imperfections.
Step 7: Finish Your Look (Optional)
To enhance your cat eyeliner look further, consider adding eyeshadow, mascara, or even false lashes. Applying a light eyeshadow to your eyelid and blending it into the crease can create a stunning contrast.
Tips and Hacks for Perfect Cat Eyeliner:
Cat eyeliner can be challenging to master, but there are several hacks and tricks that can make the process easier and help you achieve that flawless winged look. Here are some cat eyeliner hacks:
- Use Tape or a Business Card as a Guide: Place a piece of scotch tape or a business card diagonally along the outer corner of your eye to create a clean, sharp edge for your wing. Once you’ve applied your eyeliner, gently peel off the tape for a perfect wing.
- Start with Dots: Rather than attempting to draw a continuous line, start by placing small dots or short dashes along your upper lash line to outline the wing’s shape. Then, connect the dots to create a smooth line.
- Use a Spoon: The edge of a spoon can serve as a guide for your wing. Hold the spoon handle against the outer corner of your eye, and use the curved edge to trace the wing.
- Practice with Eyeliner Stamps: There are eyeliner stamps available that can help you create symmetrical wings with ease. These stamps come in various sizes and angles to suit your preferences.
- Make Mistakes Disappear with Concealer: If you make a mistake or need to sharpen your wing, use a small concealer brush and some concealer to clean up and define the edges of your wing.
- Draw Your Wing First: Some makeup artists prefer drawing the wing first, starting from the outer corner of the eye and extending it to the desired length. Then, they connect it to the upper lash line for a smooth, even line.
- Consider Your Eye Shape: Tailor your wing to your eye shape.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Don’t be discouraged if your cat eyeliner isn’t flawless on the first try. It takes practice to master this technique.
- Steady Your Hand: Rest your elbow on a stable surface to keep your hand steady while applying eyeliner for precise lines.
- Adjust for Hooded Lids: If you have hooded eyelids, you may need to draw a thinner line to ensure the cat-eye eyeliner is visible when your eyes are open.
- Experiment: Feel free to experiment with different eyeliner styles to find the one that complements your eye shape best.
- Measure and Mark: Use a makeup brush or a thin eyeliner brush to measure and mark key points. For example, mark where you want the wing to end, where it should angle upward, and where the eyeliner should start at the inner corner.
- Natural Lighting: Whenever possible, apply your makeup in natural lighting. This will provide a clearer view of your eyeliner application and its appearance in different lighting conditions.
With patience and practice, you’ll soon be able to create cat eyeliner like a pro and make it a staple in your makeup routine. This timeless look will not only enhance your eyes but also boost your confidence and add a touch of elegance to your overall appearance. So, go ahead and embrace your inner feline with this iconic eyeliner style!
Related: How to do natural and light makeup?